Sunday, May 19, 2013

We're not that different after all...

       When I was a little girl, I would sit on my mom's lap in my grandma's old wooden rocking chair, and we would sing the ABC's. It wasn't until a few years later that I learned about 2 letters of the alphabet that would change my life forever; CF. I had always dreamed of being a singer and these two letters seemed to make that impossible. But I refused to let Cystic Fibrosis define me. And it was then that I stopped focusing on two little letters, and started living by three powerful words. Just watch me. There is so much more to me than Cystic Fibrosis and I know that you'll see that throughout this blog if you Just Watch Me.

       For those of you who don't know what Cystic Fibrosis is, I'll tell you a little bit about it. It's a genetic disease that mainly affects the lungs and the pancreas, but also targets the whole body. Since it is genetic, both parents have to be carriers of the gene and even then it's a one in four chance that you have a child with the disease. All four of the kids in my family have Cystic Fibrosis. What are the odds of that happening you ask? .39%! It affects about 30,000 people in the United States and is currently the number 1 genetic killer of children. There is no cure at the time, but many medical achievements are being made daily.

        I remember hearing a story about when my oldest sister, April, was born. The doctor handed my parents a box of Kleenex as they explained that she had a terminal illness called Cystic Fibrosis. They told my parents that she wouldn't live passed the age of 8. But she proved them wrong and lived until she was 26 years old. She brought 2 beautiful babies into the world and definitely left an imprint on the hearts of many. My older brother is now 28 and is the sweetest person you will ever meet. He literally has given the coat off of his back to many, picks up hitch-hikers and puts a smile on everyone's face that he comes in contact with. In High school he was one of the top golfers in Idaho and is now a gymnastics coach. Christina is 16 and is full of life. She is an incredible singer and travels with me across the country sharing our message of hope and inspiration through word and song. We like to joke that our house is like a circus with all of us, but really we are lucky to have each other. We can relate to one another and support each other when we are sick.




        So as you can see we are not your average family. We may seem different, but once you get to know us you'll realize We're not that different after all.



15 comments:

  1. wonderful post!!!! As a CFer, I very much enjoy watching you live your life without letting CF define you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great writer Ali! You and Christina have been very inspirational to many and I have enjoyed watching some of your journey. I look up to you two so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyner! That made me feel so good. I'll be posting many more stories along the way!

      Delete
  3. Ali I can remember the spirit I felt when I first saw you and Nina on AGT. I sent you my friend requests when you still only had a few hundred friends, and you have both shared your lives with us. Very few singers have been able to bring tears to my eyes as you and Nina. The Spirit is so strong with you two that it truly amazes me. Your messages of hope and inspiration have kept me from giving up. Thank you for continuing to let us, and especially me, share your experiences and your love through your songs, your messages, your Facebook posts, and the list goes on and on. You are both truly an inspiration to me! Thank you SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spencer you are the sweetest. You have been so kind to us. Thanks for being such a great friend!

      Delete
  4. You are a really good writer looking forward to reading more blogs. You and Christina are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Milkway3333! I'm excited to post some more! Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  5. Al I'm so glad I know you. I have never heard a negative thing come out of your mouth, ever. And you are one of very few people I can say that about. You are such a gem and I love that you are writing a blog WORTH reading. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Loriel you are the sweetest. I should be saying the same thing about you. You are seriously amazing and I love hanging out with you. Sunday game nights are a must!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful post. Looking forward to "just watching you"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. :) I appreciate that a ton!

      Delete
  7. wow, I had no idea you had cystic fibrosis. I always amazes me to discover the challenges of people around me that I am unaware of. You are such an awesome woman--I'll be following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Dana! seriously Its amazing to hear peoples stories and see what they go through. I love seeing you and littler Cameron at church. She puts a smile on my face!

      Delete
  8. Wow Ali, what an incredible journey you had. Well know this, I believe in you, i wish I were as talented as you, I wish I were as humble as you, I wish I were as inspirational as you. You are an amazing wonderful human being and negative people want to bring you down. Trust me I know first hand. I was that red-headed freckle faced kid that people made fun of. It didn't end there. The love of my life I was with for 22 years found another man and then hated me so much as if I were to blame. She left with my heart, my pride, my self esteem, as well as my self worth. She had powerful people bully me and my young daughter. I tried to end my life twice until my young daughter fought to be with me. She gave up a life of riches as she saw these people take everything from me. My daughter thinks of me as the greatest person in the world. Over 7 years later we stand up and shine like diamonds in the rough. That's priceless! I wrote a poem called " Help prevent suicide" posted on youtube. So many kids post that they were going to kill themselves and after watching my video they changed their minds. Only because I am in the video with a black eye and they know I understand them. So you stand tall and shine because there are more people that care about you than the negative people. Just think, if i would have taken my life I would have missed out on meeting someone as wonderful as you and your family:)
    Tom Finley

    ReplyDelete